Saturday, October 17, 2015

The name change question??

It's really crazy to me how here we are in 2015 coming up on 2016 and people still believe that a woman has to give up her identity when she gets married. I realize that a lot of people feel that there's a great tradition in changing your name. However I don't think that most people understand where this concept of changing your name even came from, it comes from a woman being owned and seen as property by the man that she marries or was sold to buy the male members of her family. In fact it's not even a common thing in all cultures for women to change thier name in many cultures women don't  in Korean culture women don't necessary change their name. 
The work I've done I'm known under my name so why would I suddenly now become someone else I believe it's good to have a connection to your spouse however I don't feel like they complete me, I was a complete person before I met my husband before we were married. So why change my identity now in Western culture we don't ask Men to change their name and give up their identity when they get married. So why do we still Believe that a woman should? My husband and I did discuss combining our names, and both of us then change your name however when we discussed it we realize that both of us are known in her own fields with our names and so we didn't want to change them at this point in our careers. The truth is that I've done all of my costume work under my "maiden name "but that's still part of my identity and that is my chosen career failed yes I do other things to earn an additional living but my field is still in costuming so why would I change the name that everyone has known me under? Then there are the people that bring up the question about what if we have kids what name will we give them? What I have to say to that is not every married couple has children for one, for two that's something that we will decide if we do have children. But in truth most likely if we have our own children it would be his name, that we would give but truthfully who knows. 
It also amazes me how this has never been an issue for my husband that I change my name but it really seems to be an issue for all of the women I've met and known. I say mad because when I moved my husband had moved before me have the apartment lease and we just added me they gave me the strangest look when I added myself with my "maiden name "when I get deliveries with that name they give me the look of shock like are you really married. That's something I don't understand what happened to the feminist view that I am a complete person on my own. I love my husband but he doesn't complete me, and I don't complete him. We both feel that we make each other better but that we were complete before, and I think that has a lot to do with why I feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment