Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Follow along with me sewing vintage a pattern

So between studying and some more studying I'm trying to update my wardrobe. I know a lot of people wouldn't consider vintage clothing updating but I happen to love the vintage luck and going out in purchasing vintage clothing can be very expensive as well as very difficult to find quality that sticks so I like to use vintage patterns orreprints of vintage patterns, many companies Vogue, Butterick, and Simplicity have done reprints of their vintage patterns from many decades to suit whatever your style maybe. For myself I tend to like the mid to late 40s through the 50s looks but the advice I'm going to share works for all patterns of any eras. As most of you may know and have realized find patterns can be very expensive so you don't necessarily want to do things like cut your exact size, now this brings up finding out what your size is. You need to measure yourself before purchasing your patterns keep in mind all companies are slightly different but if you have a general idea of your measurements when you purchased patterns you'll know what to get. You'll find the guideline measurements on the envelope somewhere I've shown a photo of the one I'm using, keep in mind that pattern sizes are not the same as you're ready to wear size they are more true to sizing ready to wear garments are done with vanity sizing so don't be surprised when your pattern size is larger than your garment ready to wear side. For myself my ready-to-wear is anywhere from a 6 to 8 however my pattern size usually a 12 to 14. Pattern sizing is going to go off of your best at largest point your waist and your hip. Now depending on the way you want your garment to fit you, before you cut out your size you want to see what the leucine is and how much give the final garment will have this is usually found on the pattern piece you can see this in photos as well. This brings up another point patterns of modern printing are usually sized anywhere from 3 to 5 sizes in an envelope. Now if you're like me your size can change but you still want to be able to make this pattern later and not spend the money to buy a new one so how do you do this? That's The next step that I'll be showing you once you figured out your sizing what you want to do is cut out your pieces at the largest size iron them trim up all excess around the pattern piece. Then as you see in the photos you went to your size and flod to your size, now you may also if you're doing a dress find that you need one size for your bust one size for your help or sometimes a combination of three sizes will go over that at a later date right now we are working with a single size. So once you've chosen your fabric, next is you've watched your fabric, you've ironed your fabric, then you cut out your pattern and folded the pattern piece to your size so that you can use it at a later date you may want to make it for someone else or your size may change you may want to share your pattern with a friend as well this is how you do that. Your next step will be to pin your pieces on your fabric and I'll be talking about that next but for now go ahead and get caught up to where we need to be I'm going to go back to studying and my next break I'll see you. The photos below will be here to help you. I'll be putting them in order of what you need first if you want to follow along with this exact pattern the pattern I am using is a vote original from 1944 it is V2885 I am making just a skirt at this time, then you'll see the size chart, then I'll show you how to clip to your size and fold your pattern Pete's so you may use it at a later date.

Pattern and fabric now it's important to choose the fabric that matches what your pattern says it is made for otherwise it will not fit right if you're using a pattern that was drafted for a woven then you need to use a woven not a stretch as I am here this pattern is made for a woven not a stretch so I am using a woven suiting fabric suitable from the description of fabric on the back of your envelope
Size chart for this pattern, this is the common sizing for most of Vogue patterns, 
Clipping your pattern peace and folding it after you've cut them out is what comes next, well after you ironed your pieces that is if your pieces are wrinkled the sizing will be off it is important to iron your fabric and pattern pieces.
After you clip your pieces you want to clip them where you have a curve or an indent so that you can have a smooth line when you fold it.
Know when you're folding you also want to then iron to make it a smooth flat line, it should end up looking something like this
Once you've done this you'll be ready for the next step and I'll see you then









No comments:

Post a Comment