Saturday, June 4, 2016

Thoughts of years

As I sit here on this rainy day crocheting, it occurs to me that I've been at this particular art form for about 22 years. I remember learning how to crochet from my grandmother when I was eight years old. Going with her to her crochet group of other older women sitting around learning how to make perfect stitches the pain of when they've ripped something out because five rows back there was some sticks that wasn't right until my stitches were completely perfect and even every time. For them it was important that my stitches be perfect that I take pride in what I was doing. You see these were the kind of women that crocheted or knitted just about everything that their families wore the coasters in their home their dish towels so than being perfect was a reflection of them and their abilities and they wanted to pass that onto me. Oddly enough they really did I take great pride in that everything I make has Even perfect stitches they come out right did they fit perfectly well. It's interesting that after all this time when I don't know what to make when I'm unsure of something when I go back to is making the layette sets that I started with. It's interesting that as I make them I sit here I can close my eyes and think of these women talking about how useful this will be when I married how important this will be, and it is important after all I crocheted part of my wedding dress because I was another aspect of me. But truly it has become very important, as a start to make my coasters for my home curtains all of the skills that I learned from these women the little life lessons is by stitch to come back to me, and I find myself on a rainy day like today cherishing the hours I spent with the name with all of those women they all became like grandmothers to me they all helped shape me. It's interesting I think it's because of all the time with these women that i'm different than other women of my own age and generatio I value  doing things in my home for my family I'm excited about starting a garden growing my own food making things for my home for my husband maybe one day for children. I take as much pride and pleasure in it as I know these women did, and I see nothing wrong with it I don't see it as backward I see it is who I am and no need to be anything different.

<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<script>
  (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({
    google_ad_client: "ca-pub-8211376793092437",
    enable_page_level_ads: true
  });
</script>
<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- food -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:block"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-8211376793092437"
     data-ad-slot="3208804703"
     data-ad-format="auto"></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>


No comments:

Post a Comment